[ACT] Network Update

Jared Liu jared at actrees.org
Mon Jun 5 15:16:29 EDT 2006

Network Update: June 5, 2006

In This Issue

In the News
Funding
Research
Events
Public Policy
Success Story

In the News
Habitat Home Turn Green

Washington, DC (May 13, 2006) - Alliance for Community Trees
celebrated the end of tree planting season in DC with our member
Casey Trees by planting trees with eighteen new homeowners and
Habitat for Humanity. We were thrilled to greet old friends from our
September kickoff of the National NeighborWoods Program, including
“Team Liberty” of The Home Depot, led by Bob Hommerbocker.

Read the full story.

Funding
American Academy of Dermatology's Shade Structure Grants- Deadline:
June 16, 2006

To help make it safer to have fun outdoors during the warmer months,
the American Academy of Dermatology is offering shade structure
grants for schools, park districts, religious institutions, or other
nonprofit organizations in need of shade for outdoor locations.

Find more funding.

Research
Edens Lost & Found. This four-hour PBS series showcases
extraordinary stories of environmental rebirth in four very different
American cities. Each one-hour program examines the unique
environmental, economic and social issues that each of these great
cities face.

Learn more.

Events
Urban Forestry & Arboriculture Conference- June 7-9, 2006

(Jackson, Mississippi). This year the conference partners with the
Mississippi Housing & Community Development Conference. A special
track on Hurricane Katrina issues will be included.

Read on...

Public Policy
Forest Service Chief Bosworth Delivers Earth Day Address

For urban forestry practitioners, Chief Bosworth's Earth Day speech
at UC Berkeley contained encouraging signs about the Forest Service's
vision for the future. Bosworth commented, "Where ecosystems are in
trouble, our role is to restore them to health." The chief recognized
the increasing role that the agency will need to play to address the
health of non-federal forest lands. Private forest lands are
increasingly falling under development, resulting in forest
fragmentation and net loss to the nation's forest resources.

Get involved.

Success Story
Trees for Houston- The Root Ball

(Houston, TX) Trees For Houston hosts a gala, the Root Ball, which
raises money and increases the visibility of the organization. For
the past 11 years, Trees For Houston has hosted a successful gala,
the Root Ball, which not only raises a significant amount of money
for the organization but also greatly increases the visibility of the
organization in the crowded social world of Houston.

Read on...

Contribute to the Network Update.
To submit an announcement or story for the Network Update, email Alice.

About ACT

Our work is improving the environment where 80% of Americans live:
our cities, towns, and villages. Together, ACT's national network of
members have planted and cared for 7.8 million trees with help from
450,000 volunteers.

Quick Links
Join ACT

Resources

Newsroom

Save the Date
ACT Annual Meeting September 7-9, 2006 Pasadena, CA

NeighborWoods is made possible by...

email: jared at actrees.org
web: http://actrees.org