[kj] Potential Heresy

nicholas fitzpatrick gasw30 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 30 12:10:47 EDT 2004

>>>i am still waiting for the sound to be done just right again. i.e. with
>>>burundi
>>>drums, cavernous howling twang guitar and some jovially demented
>>>vocalist. anyone know of a band that fits that description?

Fluw, obviously you're refering to 'Wrote for Luck' by the Happy Mondays
circa '88.

This album by the Stones: I only ever bought the eponymous single,
Undercover. That was a good groove. Dead funky bassline in that. The smell
of sex, the smell of suicide....

>From: fluwdot at earthlink.net
>To: <gathering at misera.net>
>Subject: Re: [kj] Potential Heresy
>Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:05:39 -0400
>
>thanks for passing that along ale x. "too much blood" does
have some element of geordie circa
>Fire Dances.
>technically that "element" is a "clean" tone
embellished with chorus and delay. those two
>effects will make most melodic or arpeggiated licks sound geordie esque.
>wonder if anyone else cares to add other odd sources of fire dances era
geordie esque tone
>like this stones ditty?
>

>anyway, did you notice the bass on "too much blood" has some
of youth's disco sound and
>feel as well? i quite like it
>

>since the subject is up (funk disco rock stuff), it has been on my mind
lately as i have been
>digging through old records locating funk/disco/rock gems of the late
70's era. unfortunately,
>due to the bad rep that disco got from mainstream culture via the disco
bonfire events, general
>racism and village people etc, the influence of disco/funk has not
received it's due respect in
>the collective conscience, so many of the disco attempts by rock and
jazz bands of that era
>are underrated. but i must admit, surprising, to liking much of it. take
out the hi hat on those
>records and have the drummer play burundi drums and you have one hell of
a sound. as kJ
>fans already know.
>
>lately there has been the resurgence of this disco influence (rapture,
stellastar..etc.) but i am
>still waiting for the sound to be done just right again. i.e. with
burundi drums, cavernous
>howling twang guitar and some jovially demented vocalist.
>
>anyone know of a band that fits that description?
>

>On 29 Jul 2004 at 11:18, Alexander Smith wrote:
>
> > So,  based on a discussion thread on ILM (cue collective groans),
it
> > occurred to me that Keef's  guitars on "Too Much Blood"
by the Rolling
> > Stones (from the much-maligned UNDERCOVER album from the mid-80's)
> > boast a decidedly GEORDIE-esque chime (specifically at 00:59,
> > downloaders). Really. I shit ye not. I'm thinking FIRE DANCES-era
> > specifically (think a slightly less feral "Feast of
Blaze").