[kj] a tad OT - Emirates (sorry folks, it's football again)

Patrick Davies Patrick.Davies at subsea7.com
Thu Oct 7 04:19:59 EDT 2004

It's not a terrible deal but it's far from the great coup the Arse are suggesting.

For a start the deal is for £90m cash rather than the £100m in all the headlines. Then they're getting £6.75m a season for eight years for their shirt sponsorship - just above the £6m per season Chelsea got with Emirates but they're locked in for much longer.

Then all they get is £2.4m a season over 15 years for renaming their stadium. Better than nothing but far less than the £5m a season they were hoping/depending on. Paying for the thing is still clearly going to be a real struggle for them.

Cheslea will be sponsored by Orange in a new deal that will go hand in hand with the new shirt to mark the centenary season, possibly with a new badge (no more millwall lion). Centenery - new shirt - potential new badge and your bothered with emirates. Bet they are peeved that they aren't on it!

Would love a shirt with no sponsor on it but then again I don't buy replica shirts except for the kids. I don't dress up in cowboys and Indians gear either...well except when she demands it! ; )))

iPat