[kj] KJ & zigzag

antoni at clara.net antoni at clara.net
Tue Jan 18 08:57:44 EST 2005

... and on the subject of the ZigZag magazine, KJ did get some good coverage, most especially within the original publication (http://home.clara.net/antoni/zzback.JPG), whose last issue (No 130) appeared in October 1982, with Siouxsie Sioux on the cover. It contained a rare interview with Youth's Brilliant & I have a copy. The magazine was relaunched as New ZigZag in October 1983 with issue number 1 (http://home.clara.net/antoni/zznew01.JPG) being a goth's paradise, with Sex Gang Children on the cover - plenty of Alien Sex Fiend, Sisters Of Mercy, Death Cult, X-Mal Deutschland and the Cocteau Twins.

Back to the original ZZ magazine, there were major pieces on KJ in issue 100, with an interview and that infamous page sized photo of the KJ lads in the builder's skip with a brick in hand, issue 105 with a 4 page centre spread article about the recording of the first album plus Youth & Geordie on the cover. Issue 116 contained an interview with Youth about the WTF album - KJ rarely got any coverage in the "new" ZZ (and if so it was hardly complimentary) and that was probably as much down to the fact that Mick Mercer became the editor. KJ was not one of his bands. I'm not sure why. Did they once tell him to f*ck *ff ?  The truth is out there somewhere.

Regards,

Antoni

* http://home.clara.net/antoni/ *