[kj] 24 million people... 1 from those here!

peter.west410 peter.west410 at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 28 13:30:43 EDT 2005

> No, I was referring to diseases such as cholera, smallpox, influenza that
have decimated the indigenous population of the Amazon rainforest (for
example).

 *******Cholera originated from India in the 1800's, do you think that India
should have been quarantined until a cure was found to stop the spread? If
you think that Europeans should not have gone to South America because they
spread disease, do you feel that Africans should not be allowed to come to
Europe, just in case they bring a disease?
    Diseases are an unfortunate fact of human life, and the World must try
to cure these diseases, to say that people should nt go to other countries
to stop the spread is illogical.Cholera has  an antidote and smallpox has
been eradicated.***********

> As for the other point, I don't recall saying anywhere that such people
were completely immune from any sort of injury or illness.

*******No, but the point was that they need medicines to cure theses
illness's, and the developed world has found these medicines, not the local
population*********

> What I did say (several times now, in fact) was that despite your
statement that advanced medicine is necessary for survival, groups such as
the Amazonian Indians have managed to survive for thousands of years without
it.

*********I shall give the same answer as last time:Yes they have survived as
a peoples, but individually they live shorter lives (because they fall
victim to diseases that are curable) the infant mortality rates are higher
and a cut on their body could easily become infected and will cause blood
poisoning which will kill them. I have no figures for the Amazonians, but
the Thai equivalent(hill tribes) have life expectancy of about forty years
old
   So yes, the group will survive, but the individuals chances are limited .
      So are you saying that the individual should be sacrificed for the
good of the group?
 *********