[kj] Hosannas vs OTG (was America)

P Bernardi phantasmas at erols.com
Thu May 18 00:18:28 EDT 2006

Geoffrey ODonoghue wrote:

> Holy crap! Speaking as someone who quite enjoyed OTG when it first
> came out (blame my background of listening to a lot of prog) and had
> to work hard to get into such KJ releases as WTF! and Fire Dances,
> there is no question in my mind that Hosannas is vastly superior to
> OTG. I don't care if the Hosannas sound is shitty, or if the songs go
> on too long, or if they resulted from jams and

Then we must disagree. I do care if the songs go on forever w/ no
passion or energy. Extremities was an album where song writing and craft
were paramount and made that album into a work of art.

> not from 'proper' songwriting (whatever that may be - jams are a
> legit means of creating songs in my book) - the fact remains that
> Hosannas has the KJ spirit and OTG doesn't. Besides - Geordie is all
> over Hosannas and he's sounding excellent. The same cannot be said for
> OTG and that alone makes the comparison laughable.

1. I agree, "jams" are legit means of song writing - but hosannas songs
are demos at best.
2.  Because the majority of songs are half assed, They appear to have no
purpose/ reason. KJ are lazy and I dont feel any spirit from this project.
3. IMHO Geordie wasnt all over 2003 but that album had more verve and
feel than hosannas.  It would be nice to have actual songs instead of
something that sounds like soundtrack music.

again, I can sit thru OTG regardless of how mind numbingly bad it is,
but no way can I play the entirety of Hosannas.