[kj] inside extremities review

death wish dwish2000 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 20 18:40:24 EST 2007

I ordered mine at the end of last month, and it arrived to Toronto on the
12th, so kudos to Plastichead for getting it to me fast. I've listened to
the rehearsals disc twice and the live disc three times - four, as I write
this.

The live disc is clearly the winner - it's as good an Extremities-era show
as I've heard. Great sound, great performance, and some nice banter from
Jaz. If Candlelight had chosen to release the live disc on it's own, it
would still be worth every penny. A great document of an important era.

The rehearsals disc is a nice bonus, putting you in the corner of the studio
while they spiritedly jam their way through the music that would prove to be
a major rebirth. The recordings are "100% live to two-track" and Jaz's
vocals are muted in parts. It's RAW though, and a nice counterpoint to the
album proper and the triumphant live set. We're spoiled further with a
storming live version of The Fanatic from Lyon in 89.

It seems Sanctuary have the rights to Extremities? This release should shame
them into a remaster.

T.