[kj] An Olive Branch for Olive-r

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 27 20:54:58 EST 2007

"Barfly grunge" was a description I read of Nirvana's music once.

And, yes, it did seem to be more like metal. Not to obsess about hair
once again, but also when I first saw the band -- long hair, Kurt's
goatee or soul patch or whatever he had -- Grohl's long hair in a pony
tail -- and they were playing more like mid tempo metal riffs -- I just
couldn't understand at all why the label "punk" got attached to them so
fervidly. I know Kurt Cobain liked to name-drop bands like the Wipers
and other old 80s punk bands every time he could get -- maybe that's
why? Or maybe because 97% of music writers are idiots? I personally
hated bands like Belly, The Spin Doctors, Candlebox, Screaming Trees,
Crash Test Dummies, Stone Temple Pilots, and Jesus Jones, bands that
seemed to congregate amass in that era like flies around shit.

A few years ago something called "New Rock" was supposedly the new
punk/grunge/thing. What was New Rock? Rolling Stone said it was The
White Stripes, The Hives, The Strokes, The Vines, and Jet.

And a year or two before that, it was Detroit-style girl rock & roll:
The Donnas (who were good early on), Sahara Hotnights, The Eyeliners --
that was "the new thing." And this was a few years before (1999-2000),
but -- who can forget Kittie? Ugh.

I think music writers are probably continually obsessed with trying to
convince folks there's a groundbreaking NEW THING HAPPENING RIGHT NOW to
sell their magazines/articles, to promote themselves, and the like,
whether it's true or not.

-Oliver