[kj] OT: Rikk Agnew, guitarist of 45 Grave, Christian Death, Social Distorti

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 20 12:24:20 EDT 2007

I was lucky enough to catch 45 Grave on their "reunion" tour a couple of
years back. Unlike many faux reunions (The Misfits, Dead Kennedys) this
one could at least boast signer Dinah Cancer and Agnew on guitar (later
he dropped off the tour for health reasons). Agnew was simply great as
the guitarist; he simply owned his guitar and you could tell he was
playing well below his abilities to do the 45 Grave stuff. Two hands on
the neck/fretboard for a lot of the solos and riff yet nothing sounded
wanky and there was no intricate glam metal noodling, thank God. To my
delight 45 Grave played a lot of their thrashy, early stuff off the
_Autopsy_ collection, which a lot of the audience seemed to be
unfamiliar with. What a shame! "The Plan" by 45 Grave, from 1981 or so,
is one of the fastes, most powerful thrash songs from the 80s, I think,
almost reaching into black metal territory with its rhythm section.

-Oliver