[kj] OT : Red Beat (again)

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Tue Nov 13 14:15:55 EST 2007

I always got a (strong) hint of irony with it...and irony was still in
fashion back in the 70s...Deacon Blue has never been a favourite of mine.
Always thought of it as more of a statement, but I got the impression that
the character they're putting across (olyrics are in first person) was a
bit of a cliched joke...

But admit I haven't ever tried to wrap my head around what drives Steely
Dan to nearly the same extent as I do Killing Joke, Tool, Soundgarden, or
The Muppets.

Hey if you hate Steely Dan, you'll HATE Damon Albarn's awful vox on his
cover of FM with Nathan Haines...it's god-awful IMO. Albarn has tried to
cool it up and go more jazzy, ditch some of the rocky funky
aspects...which to me is most of the appeal of FM.