[kj] FW: FW: FW: this is none of your business lennonka;D))

The Exorcist killingjoke at theimmortalfool.com
Sat Feb 2 19:42:42 EST 2008

>Well that explains where the free time came

>from. waiting for the damn things to compile. :)

>Haha, correct. He was tending to do 16-20 hour

>days most of the time he was working on that

>project however, he stayed up for too many days

>in a row once and sent off a pretty questionable

>reply (i.e. a frothing rant) to mild criticism

>on the yoper forum once, that ended up doing the rounds in Linux circles J

>How dare a hippy work at a supercomputing

>center! Does he not know how much carbon emissions is caused by such places?

>I sense his inner hippy is not quite as robust as we thought it to be.

>That’s an interesting point, running computers

>costs carbon, here’s some things to consider however:

>Computing and comms equipment enables email, IM,

>BBS, websites, video conferencing, online

>collaboration etc that reduces the need for

>millions of miles of travel ever year

>The NZ supercomputing centre uses mainly AMD

>Opteron processors, which require less power to

>run than most equivalent Intel processors

>IT is probably trending long-term towards

>massive data centres hosted locally that will to

>some extent replace IT departments, meaning no

>need to have a power hungry PC with a 350+ watt power supply on every desktop

>Datacentres are starting to be designed in a

>much more electrically and thermally efficient

>manner, for example the heat they put out can be

>used to heat the building they are in, reducing

>the overall need for power in the bldg etc

>The two main PC microchip manufacturers, Intel

>and AMD, are constantly making their chips more

>power efficient, a common trend is to cite

>‘performance per watt’ for any given chip, which

>of course is constantly increasing. Most chips /

>chipsets these days have power-saving modes

>where they will cycle down in speed when it’s

>not required, as well as shutting down whole

>areas of the chip, and PCs have power-saving

>features such as standby mode, hibernation,

>sleep, shutting down the hard disks, monitor etc etc

>Finally, computing enables research and

>development in so many fields related to the

>environment...weather modelling, population

>modelling / stats, materials and energy

>technology etc etc

LCD screens for example use

>about half or less power than the old CRT screens for the same size

I agree with quite a bit of the above though (I
have some interest in the tech field) and we can
go on and on about that stuff. However...

>"Computing and comms equipment enables email,

>IM, BBS, websites, video conferencing, online

>collaboration etc that reduces the need for

>millions of miles of travel ever year"

Depends...
Since most ppl. use MS products all that saved
mileage gets wasted/spent on little dickhead
geeksquad cars going around fixing pc's! :)

(Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Cheers,
Me