[kj] Author Norman Spinrad's use of the phrase "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns" in the 1970s

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 16 05:54:31 EST 2008

Well, of course his name is Norman Spinrad, and he is an author, but,
yes, Arthur Norman Spinrad, if that were his name, which it isn't,
that'd be up there with Nathaniel Whipple or something. Old school
Harvard elite or something.

Incidentally, Norman Spinrad wrote an alternative history book about
Hitler, where Hitler becomes a sci-fi writer after leaving Germany in
the 1930s, and he writes a novel called _The Iron Dream_. Spinrad's
novel about this called _The Iron Dream_ and contains the text of
Hitler's novel, which is an unabashed Aryan power fantasy. The book was
banned in Germany because there's a swastika on the cover. Since Jaz
also likes this kind of stuff I was thinking Jaz must have known about
Spinrad and his fiction, and maybe since the "Big Falash" was about a
rock band using the phrase "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns," that was
where Jaz specifically got the inspiration.

But I don't know that much about the BTATS title's story otherwise. I
was just shocked reading this short story about the rock group from the
70s and seeing they also used it.

I could quote the passages at length.

-Oliver