[kj] [OT] Race & the media

Bette Dillinger bettedillinger at live.com
Tue Jul 22 18:37:04 EDT 2008

Wow, that is interesting. What about her wearing the Star of David and singing about "Israel"? Was that just a feeble attempt at getting away from her past?

From: dpeace at bigfoot.comTo: gathering at misera.netDate: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 22:59:23 +0100Subject: Re: [kj] [OT] Race & the media

Well, you can never be absolutely sure with wind-up merchants like Siouxsie. She’s clearly saying “Jews” and not “fools” on the demo, and I spoke to her and Steve Severin at some length in the late eighties for a fanzine and she told me that it was definitely Jews, specifically meaning record company bureaucrats, until Polydor expressed a strong view that it should be changed. I’m sure the currency of controversy has fuelled the story, but my knowledge is as I’ve stated. Doesn’t seem any different from her effecting the swastikas, and the explanation of more than just “ooh aren’t we outrageous” convinced me.

Darren
Hungerford, UK

From: gathering-bounces at misera.net [mailto:gathering-bounces at misera.net] On Behalf Of folk devilSent: 22 July 2008 21:45To: A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!)Subject: Re: [kj] [OT] Race & the media

you sure it's not 'fools'? 'too many fools'"

From: dpeace at bigfoot.comTo: gathering at misera.netDate: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:11:45 +0100Subject: Re: [kj] [OT] Race & the media

OK. Single version has “bigots”. Peel sesson version has “whacks” or “wags” (can’t really make it out). The “Jews” version is on a demos bootleg (they elected not to put that particular demo on the “Scream” reissue, for some reason!). “Jews” was never therefore officially released, only being on live & studio boots.

Darren
Hungerford, UK

From: gathering-bounces at misera.net [mailto:gathering-bounces at misera.net] On Behalf Of Darren A. PeaceSent: 22 July 2008 20:17To: 'A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!)'Subject: Re: [kj] [OT] Race & the media

Banshees : will check – I definitely have a studio version with the “Jews” line in it.

Darren
Hungerford, UK

Stay in touch when you're away with Windows Live Messenger. IM anytime you're online.