[kj] (OT) Jane's Addiction Last Night..... or Not

TB partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Fri Oct 24 11:15:45 EDT 2008

Great show. At least from what I heard after the fact, it was. Mike and I
didn't get in.

It appeared to be a clusterfuck from the word "go." Apparantly, the La Cita
club didn't have the proper wiring to support the band's gear so an
electrician was called in early Thursday to do some quick-fix stuff. Fine,
that was taken care of, but around 7pm, the LA Fire Marshall and some LAPD
shows up and warned the bar owner that the place not only was going to hold
only about 150 people, not around 400 like I think they thought they could
cram in there, but that certain performance permits were needed or the show
was off. The permit issue got resolved but no one thought to tell the people
in the two growing lines outside that it was unlikely they'd get in even
though the band's personal guest list of celebutards (which included Tom
Morello, one of the Olsen twins and the lead dude from Entourage) was easily
going to fill the bar on it's own. Two lines had formed, one for the RSVP
people which was basically our group of about 100 people that had either
tenuous connections to people in the band on got on the "list," or people on
the Jane's mailing list who e-mailed their name to a band rouster. The
other line was about 200 people who had simply heard of the show and hoped
to get in.

I got there around 7pm and considering I was probably about 45 deep in the
RSVP line, I figured I had a real good shot at getting in. One guy was
willing to offer me $100 to go in with me but while I stood breathing over
my shoulder, I called Mike and told him to rush his ass downtown if he
wanted to see the show. He made it by around 8pm and for the next two hours,
we and most of the others in the RSVP line which appeared to top off around
100 people were pretty optimistic.

So around 10pm, several security guys and one weird fat bald dude in a gray
tank top (who later turned out to be the bar owner - lol!) started bellowing
to no one in particular that "sorry, no one gets in tonight, all full" and
while the non-RSVP line thinned out very quickly as people left, the RSVP
line stubbornely held about 60 people until the band showed up in a black
van and went in through the back intrance about 10:15. The asshat security
guys at the front door wouldn't even allow the doors to stay open so the
people crowded at the entrence couldn't see inside and the sound was well
muffled. At that point, Mike and I bailed. Apparantly only the first 14
people in the RSVP line got in (inlcuding a couple hardy folk who slept on
the sidewalk overnight) and about 20 people in the non-RSVP line got in and
during the last two songs of the set, about 40 more people were let in. A
*lot* of pissed of people left standing outside.

Quite honestly considering it was such a poorly kept secret, I was pretty
surprised that the turnout was probably only about 300 people total outside
the bar by about 9:45. I was honestly expecting real pandemonium when I got
there and even when it was clear nobody was going to get in, there was more
just nearly apathetic resignation, than any outright anger.

Well, after reading some of the breathless accounts of how great the show
was, here's the setlist:

Up The Beach
Tripaway
Whores