[kj] fully on topic / the isis crisis

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Tue May 12 17:14:17 EDT 2009

Hah, Isis. I had a bit of an Isis crisis, if you will today.

You fellows might enjoy today's quandary: So, you'll remember that I'm
still writing shit for The New Yorker's Goings On About Town section.
Basically, my task is to compose "pithy, funny and infomative" blurbs
about upcoming shows. Easy peasy, right? I've been doing it since
2001, and I'd honestly do it for free. It's a walk-in-the-park.

So, today, my editor John sends me a list of upcoming bands that will
be playing in the area over the next couple of weeks. I pick out four
or five and start writing. The bands I write about usually tend to be
the types of bands that your average New Yorker reader would NEVER IN
A MILLION YEARS consider going to see, but whatever.

One of the bands I pick to write about is a frowny and (to my mind)
frankly ludicrous progressive metal band from Boston called Isis. As
my friend Rob likes to say, "they're the kinda thing you like, if you
like that kinda thing." Here's what I wrote (and submitted) to my
friend/editor John:

June 2: Isis
Though their name might conjure up corny images of Egyptian mythology
(or, conversely, a tepid live-action superheroine from 70's Saturday
morning television), Isis isn't your run-of-the-mill metal outfit.
The Boston band's sound does indeed feature de rigeur genre trappings
like chugging guitars and gruffly-barked vocals that border on the
tuneless, but Isis' music comes imbued with lengthy, ambient passages
that would probably confuse or bore less discerning headbangers. The
bands latest album, <i>Wavering Radiant</i> is equal parts raging
heaviosity and contemplative, cinematic sprawl.

Fair enough, right? Pithy and informative and blah-blah-blah.

Five minutes after I hit "send," John writes back with the below,
single line:

"Do you know that I named my second born Isis????"

...a fact which I'd totally forgotten.

I'm a tool.

Alex in NYC