[kj] best drummer

Matt Dunn mattdunn at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 20 13:25:03 EST 2010

Being a drummer (not a very good one mind, but a drummer nonetheless), I
felt I had to come out of lurker-dom for this. I have seen them all,
including BPF back in the day and three times last year, so:

BPF - Obviously has the most to contribute. Back in the day he was awesome,
and he's still good though not quite as tight. They're all getting on a bit
aren't they? I think you need to practice constantly and I believe he's had
about 15 years off. If he can bring back any of the passion and ingenuity he
demonstrated on the first 4 albums then he's the man.

Benny - I reckon he's about as tight as you can get. Just look at him on
Pssyche on the live dvd. That song is a killer to play and should be the
benchmark for all KJ drummers. However, the drumming on Hosannas wasn't very
inspired.

Geoff Dugmore - he was tight but he's a session rock drummer, so I never saw
him make much effort.

Martin Atkins - not as good as he thinks he is. I've seen him slow down in
Pssyche. The drums on the beginning of Solitude sound like someone is
falling down the stairs. The drums on Age of Greed are not that difficult
(really).

Ted Parsons - I saw him mess up a few times and receive glares from Jaz.

So, in my opinion, it's BPF, closely followed by Benny for skill, but BPF
for Killing Joke-ness.