[kj] Gathering Digest, Vol 86, Issue 153

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 12:54:43 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 9:55 AM, David Noonan <noonan.hq at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Nightmare songs? How about ' You'll Never Get To Me'. Must mean something to

> someone, but it makes me cringe every time I hear it.

"You'll Never Get to Me" might be too close to the British
wannabe-bluesman ruffian stereotype, the sensitive roughneck sound,
and some iPhone app that shows a cigarette lighter for the encore
charade (surely the only time to play the song live). Still I suspect
we have some manic-depressive tendencies among The Gathering, friends,
family, and well-wishers. I find the song very curiously touching. It
lets down the aggressive guard, all the more effective in context of
the album.

--Mark