[kj] So new album..where does it stand

Alex Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 10 13:39:31 EDT 2010

Been having an absolute shit few weeks at my end. Am knee-deep in a three month contract and am competing with interviewees for the full-time/staff version of the job I'm already doing. I'm nervous at all times. If I don't make the cut, will I get the keys to the street again? There are no clear answers, but several sobering ramifications.

This morning, on my walk to work, I dialed up ABSOLUTE DISSENT on my iPod for the first time, which I too downloaded despite being positively certain that I shall buy at least two copies of the tactile artifact when Spinefarm sees fit to finally get the fucker in stores.

"The Great Cull"
"Here Comes the Singularity"
and -- oh good lord -- "The Raven King"

...all managed to make me smile broadly on my otherwise dreary trudge to work up 6th Avenue.

As far as I'm concerned, Killing Joke has delivered and then some. As I believe Rob Moss said, they sound like a proper live unit again. Bracing!!!!!!!

..and, yes, I too almost got a bit choked up by "The Raven King." Not only a striking, rollicking, sparklingly-produced track, but a geuninely emotive paean to their fallen brother.

Loving it.

Alex in NYC