[kj] OT: Recording software

fatpotanga fatpotanga at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 12:31:15 EDT 2011

I do mostly guitar based stuff & use Logic & love it.
To get sounds in, I use a line6 TonePort UX2 which is fantastic, almost pocket money priced with a huge, natural sounding range of amps, bass amps, vocal preamps, acoustic preamps, effects blah blah although to be honest have just started using Logics amps of late because it's AC30 is so good.
Will occasionally mic up my amp & use my pedals but it's a faff as my needs are pretty basic.
Am also very impressed with logics synths although I only use them sparingly to add a bit of texture here & there.
I also use EZ drummer which is excellent & perfect for throwing down an idea/vibe or even a finished drum track if you can't be bothered programming yourself!

I used to use Cubase rewired into Reason, both of which I can highly recommend.
Tried Ableton (I got a lite version with the UX2) but couldn't get on with it but that was purely it being such a different interface & laziness!

There are so many decent options I guess it's ultimately down to budget (or bandwidth..) & what you want to produce at the end of it.
After all, you can knock a nail in with the arse end of a screwdriver, but it's better to use a hammer :)
It's hard to go wrong with anything anyone has suggested as they all seem to have a plethora of hammers & screwdrivers included.
Having said that, sometimes you only need a hammer
must. stop. typing.