[IGDA_indies] more opinions on the value of the IGDA (esp. for indies)

Jason Della Rocca jason at igda.org
Wed Jul 21 13:33:17 EDT 2004

Hi all,

Obviously, I am biased on this topic of discussion ;)

As Brandon noted, he and I have had extensive lively discussions on this...
And, I do not mean to re-ignite those embers... But, I'd just like to make
one point.

The IGDA has a very clear mission and mandate to build community and
advocate on issues relevant to developers. The board is elected by the
membership to guide the org to fulfill its mission. Developers join, in
part, because they believe in this mission and value the work being done
(or, in some cases, believe in the future potential of the org).

Those who do not believe in, or agree with, the IGDA's mission, don't have
to join. We are not a union. IGDA membership is not mandatory.

It is unreasonable to ask the IGDA to cater to every idea, desire, whim of
developers/members. The IGDA is a defined entity, it is not a clean slate
or sand box that is up for definition.

(Do members of a non-profit cancer patient support society complain that
the organization is not addressing the needs of AIDS patients, or should be
doing more to feed the homeless?)

Whether or not one agrees that the work we do is valid/valuable is up to
each developer to decide. And, despite our successes on the anti-censorship
front, I'd like to think the IGDA is, and does, a lot more...

http://www.igda.org/advocacy/
http://www.igda.org/community/
http://www.igda.org/about/IGDA_2003_Annual_Report.pdf

We don't claim to be anything more than what we are.

Regards,
	Jason

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jason Della Rocca
Program Director
International Game Developers Association

t: +1-514-426-1162
f: +1-514-426-1201
Montreal, Canada

http://www.igda.org/blogs/realitypanic/