[IGDA_indies] newbies, and organizational politics

Jason Della Rocca jason at igda.org
Thu Jul 22 10:10:16 EDT 2004

Thanks for the feedback from everyone, especially the inner workings of
non-profits from Brandon.

Jon makes a great point about better communication and involvement. This is
an area we are working on... Especially the communication side, which
itself will play a big part in better involving members.

In terms of Brandon's comments on gatekeepers and doing end-runs and such,
I'll say that a lot of what the IGDA does is set up the "infrastructure" to
allow developers to do end-runs ;) SIGs and chapters are 100% volunteer
driven. And, aside from providing some general guidelines, the IGDA doesn't
get involved.

We are essentially asking developers to "end-run" around us! Sadly, most
developers don't run, wait for others to run for them, or don't know how to
run (which is the involvement problem).

For the advocacy oriented topics like anti-censorship and quality of life,
we take more of the gatekeeper approach. These topics are very sensitive
and require certain levels of expertize and consensus building that we wrap
them in committee structures with direct board involvement, etc. I think
this is appropriate/needed when we're using the IGDA to represent the
industry to government on an anti-censorship case. That is, we need to
speak with one voice and not look like we're a bunch of barbarians running
around, etc...

Regarding Ted's note on size, the IGDA is pretty tiny. We only have about
5000 members, with ~$400k in annual revenue. We have 2.5 staff. Ironically,
we have over 75000 folks registered with "free user" accounts who are more
than happy to reap the benefits of our work for free...

You can check our annual report or the members link for extra details:
http://www.igda.org/about/IGDA_2003_Annual_Report.pdf
http://www.igda.org/community/members.php

Regards,
	Jason

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jason Della Rocca
Program Director
International Game Developers Association

t: +1-514-426-1162
f: +1-514-426-1201
Montreal, Canada

http://www.igda.org/blogs/realitypanic/