[IGDA_indies] organizational politics

Jason Della Rocca jason at igda.org
Fri Jul 23 09:32:39 EDT 2004

>Certainly the GDC is not focused on Indies or start up developers

Just for extra clarification, the IGDA does not own or manage the GDC, or
otherwise have any control over it. GDC is owned and operated by CMP, a for
profit commercial media company that also produces Gamasutra.com, publishes
Game Developer Magazine and does the IGF.

The IGDA participates at GDC extensively (eg, IGDA track, booth, annual
meeting, etc), but only to the extent that GDC provides us the space to do
our thing. The IGDA has control over the sessions in our track, and we have
hosted indie oriented roundtables, etc.

>proves that the IGDA is not the captive of the publicly traded behemoths
>of the industry...and can effectively have a higher purpose.

Thanks for the analysis, but I'd say that much of the work we do does not
favor any particular segment of game developers...

Fighting to maintain freedom of expression is right ALL developers would
like to enjoy. Giving our scholarships and working with schools on
curriculum and research initiatives is relevant to everyone. Quality of
life issues are universal. Need for diversity and gender equity applies to
all segments. Etc, etc.

Certainly, our chapters welcome people from all walks of life and do not
discriminate between mainstream or indie, student or pro, teacher or
designer...

So, I'd like to think that the work the IGDA does, for the most part, is
mindful of the entire ecosystem.

>Innovation and creativity are what indies do best!

Yes, it should be! Here's an interesting article questioning this theory:
http://www.gametunnel.com/html/section-viewarticle-50.html

>And I think supporting indies is consistent with the IGDA's higher
>purposes and mission.  Of course, how that gets done is another discussion
>altogether...and that discuss belongs right here!

Right! Let's stop debating and start exploring ways that the IGDA as a
whole, or the Indie SIG specifically can make a difference.

Jason

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jason Della Rocca
Program Director
International Game Developers Association

t: +1-514-426-1162
f: +1-514-426-1201
Montreal, Canada

http://www.igda.org/blogs/realitypanic/