[IGDA_indies] indies and innovation

Ronald Hobbs ronald.hobbs at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Jul 24 11:19:51 EDT 2004

Just to chime in,
Savage has actually developed quite a following and is played pretty much
round the clock on several servers, some sponsored by PC magazines. Not to
mention that it has got an active modding community building as well, with
the first commercial mod already hitting the shelves. It might not be
innovative in the sense that it exposes a new genre,  but it is the first
hybrid of its kind, and now mainstream games are flocking to imitate it
(such as Battlefield 2). All in all it is a pretty good game and I think
probably the most indicative of indie = innovation to hit the shelves.

Spartan just didn't do it for me personally, though I was quite glad to see
it on the shelves. But as gameplay goes and especially compared to Savage it
was quite short on the innovation, which again shows that indie !=
innovation.

I think it's pretty unconstructive to argue how indies are more innovative
that non-indies. Essentially Indies want to make money, and those that don't
(the Open source crowd) want people playing their games. Therefore it is
quite likely that a lot of indie's go mainstream, that's where the money and
the people are, but also of course where the big boys play. Sometimes and
indie can pull it off and become a success like Savage. Sometimes it can
come close and not quite get there. Innovation is on a team by team thing,
or perhaps a person by person. Some of the mainstream games are highly
innovative, some indies are even more so (because of lack of publisher
pressure perhaps) but in the end the majority of both mainstream and indie
games are simply rehashes.

Just my 2p.