[IGDA_indies] defining the indie

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Sun Jul 25 16:29:13 EDT 2004

Brian Hook wrote:

> The definition I've used is that "an
> independent developer is one that exerts control over the majority of
> a game's distribution, development, and design."
>
> Yes, by that logic, EA and Activision are independent
> developers...and, well, I think they are, because they DO get to
> choose what they do and don't do ( modulo stockholders ), which is
> kind of the definition of independence.

The flaw in your definition is the word ONE.  EA and Activision aren't
ONE, they're large corporate conglomorates with many studios.  They make
decisions based on corporate priorities, they shift their in-house labor
pools accordingly, and they apply pressure to their constituent studios
accordingly.  I do not honestly see how EA and Activision can hold up as
'indie'.

> > If you ask me the Indie Game Sig's charter should be to "ensure the
> > sustainability of independently produced, and distributed computer
> > games"
>
> That's a good definition.

Also, you have to come up with definitions that are meaningful in the
real world.  There's nothing real world meaningful about "EA and
Activision are indies."  If you really disagree, then let's just all
unsubscribe right now.  Because then indie is already fully integrated
with the mainstream game industry and we don't need a sig.  :-)

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.