[IGDA_indies] The Games Thread :)

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Sun Jul 25 20:58:34 EDT 2004

Ronald Hobbs wrote:

> Perhaps I just don't see innovation in the same way you do,
> and seeing as
> you're the authority ;) I'll concede the point, though perhaps an
> illumination would be appreciated.

As I said before, innovation isn't its problem.  It's innovative; the AI
just doesn't do what people think it does.  As far as I can tell it's
not learning all that much.  Looks more like it just levels up some
stats to cause some canned behaviors to happen.  I think 'configuration'
would be a more accurate word than 'learning'.

The problem with B&W is it's *boring*.  As in, takes too long for
anything to happen, highly repetitive, frustrating, and unrewarding to
play.  Like I said, I'd give it 10 for innovation * 6.5 for execution =
65 for Innovation In Game Design.  It's not a good enough game to merit
more than that.  IMO it's a seriously, grossly deficient game design.
Lotsa people on Usenet concur with me.  I asked a lot of people if I had
missed something about the game.  They said nope, it is what it is.

I think it's a case of a project getting lost in technology, but saved
by marketing and eye candy.  Maybe B&W2 will actually deal with the game
design successfully, but I'll be letting others put it through its paces
for awhile before I bite.

I mean heck, I waited 4 years to play B&W in full.  Previous to now, I
played it for 5 minutes at GDC 2002.  I enjoyed those 5 minutes, but I'm
rather stingy about games that don't offer demos.  I downloaded it via
Kazaa once, just to try it out, but I didn't end up installing it.  I'd
heard too many negative things from too many people to be strongly
motivated.  It's only because I thought I should get out of my
abandonware rut with Emperor Of The Fading Suns that I plunked down $20,
belatedly, for B&W.  Well, that and thinking I should play all of the
famous titles 'eventually', to be fully conversant with other game
designers.

> Well to be honest Republic is not everyone's taste, that said
> however, I
> believe Elixir's upcoming release, Evil Genius, is going to
> be a lot more
> fun though quite unoriginal. Imagine Dungeon keeper but with
> a Bond film setting.

Uuuh, you mean electric walls shifting back and forth or something?

> As for Total War, if you're a strategic or tactical war gamer
> you must get this.

Ok, I'm downloading the Medieval: Total War demo.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur