[IGDA_indies] lightweight authoring systems

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Sun Feb 13 03:52:26 EST 2005

I'm not ready to volunteer to be the 'spine' of an Experimental Game
Design SIG.  I am far more concerned about solving a basic underlying
problem, that of authoring systems.  Both "heavy duty" authoring systems
for the commercial games I'm trying to make, and "lightweight" authoring
systems for experimentation and prototyping.  I'm focusing my own
efforts around the Nebula2 3D engine.  http://nebuladevice.cubik.org  At
this time, I'm not willing to be diverted from these goals.

What I can ask, however, is if anyone else is working on the
"lightweight authoring systems" problem?  Or does anyone actually have a
solution, that they enjoy working with, and have gotten substantive
things done with?  The latter is important.  Please don't just say,
"Well you could use this-or-that!"  Have you *worked* with this-or-that,
what results have *you* achieved with it?  In what timeframes, with what
level of labor?

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

"We live in a world of very bright people building
crappy software with total shit for tools and process."
                                - Ed McKenzie
--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.