[Scons-users] how to get bbl output of pdflatex?

David Roundy roundyd at physics.oregonstate.edu
Sat Sep 7 09:37:49 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm running into a bit of a challenge using the pdflatex builder. This
builds a pdf file just fine:

env.PDF(target = 'paper.pdf', source = 'paper.tex')

The tricky bit is that in order to submit to a journal (or http://arxiv.org),
I need the bbl file that is produced. Of course, I could do this manually
by typing bibtex, but the point of scons (and before that make) is to
automate and document the process.

The trouble I'm having is that if the pdf file has been cached, then the
bbl file is *not* cached, and I can't make another rule depend upon it. I
have tried:

env.Tar(target = arxiv.tar.gz',
source = ['paper.tex', 'paper.bbl'] )
Depends('arxiv.tar.gz', 'paper.bbl')

but I get errors:

tar: papers/polyhedra/paper.bbl: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

Any suggestions? The documentation on the latex builder is pretty sparse,
and I find the source code well nigh incomprehensible.
--
David Roundy