[Scons-users] Librarian tool

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Jan 24 06:53:21 EST 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 13:45 -0500, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:
[…]

> I've actually been working on a core enhancement, a SwitchAction which

> is like a ListAction but only executes one of the listed actions based

> on a predicate. I think if we replaced smart_linker with this, it

> would be extensible in the ways you need, or at least it's a part of

> the solution to that problem.

The core issue for smart_linker is the problem that occurs if the source
list includes two of C++, Fortran, D. If only one of them is there plus
possibly C then there is little problem.

So the problem to solve is how to link an executable where there are
source a.f, b.cpp and c.d. I actually think this may be close to
undecidable given the need to support Windows, OSX, Linux, FreeBSD,
OpenBSD, etc. It may thus be sufficient not to support this case. The C
++ + Fortran case is already a problem.

The revised D tooling in default/tip of SCons_D_Tooling, is already
working a lot better that the hack there was previously. All fully
tested on Linux and OSX.I guess I will have to steal a Windows machine
and set it up to test so I can create a pull request and avoid the
hassle of last time. But these D tooling changes really need to get into
a released SCons.

The question is can there be breaking changes in a minor revision, 2.3 →
2.4

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net