[Scons-users] Problems with the Java builder

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Fri Jan 24 15:42:32 EST 2014

On 24.01.2014 13:22, Russel Winder wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 21:29 +0100, Dirk Bächle wrote:

> Dirk,

> […]

>> compiling is probably not really required, but parsing enough of Java's

>> syntax to be able to extract the infos about anonymous classes and such.

>> From this, an Emitter could then mimic the naming schemes of the

>> different Java compilers and spit out the correct list of created class

>> files.

> True in principle, but… do we want the hassle?

For me, that's the basic question this discussion is all about. What
exactly is our vision for the Java support in SCons? Do we want to provide:

1.) full support (-> lots of work, struggling to keep up with Maven/Gradle)
2.) basic (calling it experimental?) support, for simple Java/C/C++ mix
projects with just a few Java files
3.) no support at all, keeping the current state of the Java tools but
not maintaining them officially any longer (the same would hold for
similar languages like Scala, ...)

I don't want to push any decisions, but I'd like to have a clear goal
for development...which is also easy to communicate to the end-users.
So, option 1) and 3) are definitely my personal favourites.

Thinking really crazy, we could also embrace the idea of interfacing
Gradle from SCons. Or the other way round? Just sayin'... ;)

Dirk