[Scons-users] scons-4.3.0 bug reading scons-3.1.2 generated .sconsign.dblite

Jay West jhdub23 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 03:22:32 EDT 2022

"Deploy" was a poor choice of words.  We are a large organization with a
pipeline of builds and quality.  Our fastest turnaround/lowest quality
guarantees are quick development builds for preliminary testing of targeted
features (non-production use, obviously).  We are long-time users of scons
and rely on the build correctness that scons can usually provide.  I
haven't seen another build tool that tries as hard as scons to encode even
the commands and the build environment as dependencies.  That's why I was
surprised that a DB compatibility check wasn't in the code.

I think an alternative solution of writing the scons version, or some other
compatibility version information, as a header in the .sconsign.dblite
would be much better than renaming files.  If the header is not recognized
as being compatible, nuke the file and start over.  Is a reproducer really
needed?  Even conceptually, an incompatible DB format between versions is a
known weakness.

Thanks,

Jay