[Scons-users] Has anyone seen anything like this

Olivier, Jeffrey V jeffrey.v.olivier at intel.com
Wed May 25 11:30:10 EDT 2022

To answer several questions:

SCons version is 4.2.0.  It's the distro version on Fedora 35.  Python 3.10

I am using VariantDir(build_prefix, '.', duplicate=0)

build_prefix by default expants to build/dev/gcc

One can run our build locally on various platforms.  I use Fedora so use the el8 install script to setup the node.  It takes about 10 minutes to do a full parallel build with all of the prerequisites.   To build you should be able to do this.   You do need to have http network access for the downloads of prerequisites.
Run one of the install scripts in utils/scripts/install-*.sh.   This just installs stuff like SCons among other things.  You can also just look at it and figure out what you want to install that way.
clone daos and do git submodule update --init
scons --build-deps=yes install -j24

We also have several Docker scripts if that's preferrable (utils/docker)

Once you've done a build, make a simple change to daos_errno.h (add some struct or change some text in one of the FOREACH macros) and run scons install.   You'll see a few things that always build because we haven't yet done the work to prevent go build from doing its thing when nothing has changed.  But nothing that depends on daos_errno.h (e.g. src/gurt/errno.c) will rebuild.

I tried adding a clear() line.  In fact, I tried moving the configure checks to be the first thing we do and then cleared every header file as installed and daos_errno.h still doesn't trigger a rebuild of the dependencies.

There are a few places where Glob('*.c') is used.  I can try cleaning those up next as I've tried to discourage the use of Glob in general.

-Jeff