[Scons-users] SCons for Ansys APDL Analysis

Hubley, Christopher (GE Aerospace, US) Christopher.Hubley at ge.com
Sat Nov 4 09:01:08 EDT 2023

Kyle,
I just wanted to take a second to respond to your message and thank you for recommending WAVES. I think that your response slipped by me…

I tried and gave up on scons a year ago because I couldn’t get it to launch the ANSYS interpreter in my variant directory with my custom builder.

Here we are a year later… and I re-approached scons for a bolted joint analysis that I am working on in Python. I guess Chris does analysis in the third quarter.

The waves project looks cool!
It looks like you’ve written a scanner which parses Abaqus scripts and grabs dependencies? Very neat.

I inspected your code a bit and it looks as if you solved the problem that I had by changing directories prior to executing your build action, and feeding the interpreter absolute paths to the input files.

    #python/scons
    action = [f"{_cd_action_prefix} {program}..."]

Maybe that doesn’t seem like the normal way to run scons, but hey… if it works, it works. It solves the problem that I was having.
It also makes me feel a bit better… I felt like I was going insane when I couldn’t get scons to build where it was supposed to.

Here’s a minimal example of what I was trying to achieve…

Before building…
    project_root/
        SConstruct
        site_scons/
            site_init.py
        source/
            SConscript
            model.db
            runfile.apdl
            boundary_conditions/
                case_001.inp
                case_002.inp

After building…
    project_root/
        SConstruct
        site_scons/
            site_init.py
        source/
            SConscript
            model.db
            generate_runfiles.py
            runfile_template.apdl
            boundary_conditions/
                case_001.inp
                case_002.inp
        results/
            mission_case_001.db
            mission_case_001.rst
            mission_case_001.out
            mission_case_001.err
            mission_case_002.db
            mission_case_002.rst
            mission_case_002.out
            mission_case_002.err

…where each mission case is run independently in the SConscript file.

I might give scons/waves another go for my next model. Thanks again!

-Chris