Tom Hunter & The Song Growing Co. September Newsletter

Tom Hunter - The Song Growing Co. list@tomhunter.com
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 11:53:56 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C372DB.382A33C0

September newsletter=85=20

GREETINGS for September from a hot and dry corner of Washington state. =
Hard to imagine but even in this part of the world we need rain=85 This =
is the first of what we hope will be many monthly newsletters full of =
thoughts and announcements and hype. We want to make better use of email =
technology, and if you like it, please pass the word so others can sign =
up too. It won=92t be long and won=92t demand a lot of time staring at =
your screen or downloading something of dubious interest. Short and =
sweet, a thought or two to chew on, something pithy, informational =96 =
that=92s what we=92re after. For longer pieces and more details, we=92ll =
refer you to our web site, so you can ignore those things or look for =
them at your leisure. Again, greetings, and welcome aboard!

To chew on=85 "Machines are turning us into spectators." Pete Seeger =
said that, and though I=92ve been using it for years in workshops, =
there=92s always another way it=92s true. We don=92t sing so much these =
days; we listen to machines sing for us. We don=92t prepare our own food =
so much; we go fast food or use precooked packaged meals. We get farther =
from where water or power or ideas or clothes come from. Truth is =
participating in our own lives is much more satisfying =96 making our =
own music and food, having our own ideas, creating something of our own. =
Little kids have to or they don=92t learn much. It=92s the same for =
adults. We all need to play, do it for ourselves, explore, muck around, =
move, fall down, get up. Sitting still is way over-rated. It turns us =
into spectators. Re-inventing the wheel is good. It makes you a =
participant in your own life.

Recent event=85 I did an opening day assembly at Irene Reither Primary =
School Sept. 2. Half an hour after the kids arrived that first day they =
were in the gym singing songs. Not a bad way to start the year! Fun to =
sing "We=92ve Been Waiting for You" in that context. "If you=92re kind =
of tired, we=92ve been waiting for you," "If you=92re kind of scared=85" =
"If you wish summer were longer=85" =96 it always seems right to me to =
have the chance to acknowledge real feelings. And I couldn=92t help but =
wonder, looking at all those faces (and the teachers too), how this year =
will go for them. Will someone welcome them day after day, creating a =
place where they feel they belong? Will they learn numbers and letters =
and the joy of learning and at the same time get other things they need, =
the stuff of their own humanity, things you can=92t measure?

Sept. dates=85 It=92s a pretty open month, on purpose, so I can prepare =
for a busy Oct. and Nov. (check those months at =
www.tomhunter.com/upcomingevents.htm) and get some projects done around =
our place.
Sept. 11 =96 curriculum open house at Irene Reither School
Sept. 17 =96 presentation to the staff on Staff Day at Bellingham =
Technical College
Sept. 24 =96 assembly at Wing Luke School, Seattle =96 to kick off my =
music residency there
Sept. 24 =96 evening family back-to-school sing, Emerson Elementary =
School, Everett, WA
Sept. 27 =96 all-morning workshop for the Kitsap AEYC, info at (360) =
779-5517

New seminar=85 I=92m excited about a new seminar I=92m doing for the =
Bureau of Education and Research in Nov. (where and when listed at =
www.tomhunter.com/upcomingevents.htm) =96 "Enhancing Early Literacy =
Skills through the Use of Music." It=92s a whole day of singing songs =
and exploring what kids learn when they sing. What could be better than =
that! Even when the topic isn=92t specifically literacy, you=92ll likely =
hear some of those ideas seep into my other presentations this year.

Hype=85 Check the web site to order recordings. We think they=92re =
pretty good, definitely worth the pittance we charge. Besides that, for =
those of you signed up and receiving this newsletter, during Sept. if =
you buy one item at full price, the next two are each $5 off =96 CD's, =
tapes, or books. Just include the word "compost" on your order form and =
we'll take care of the rest. And pass the word about signing up for this =
newsletter. Tell a parent or a teacher, a friend or an enemy=85 Remember =
we can send things as gifts to whatever address you give us, autographed =
if you want=85 By Oct 1 there will be an insert done suggesting ways to =
use some songs on some selected recordings=85 Check out the essay =
entitled "Lullabye" on the web site (www.tomhunter.com/essays.htm)=85 =
Our best to you all, =91til next month!

-------

THE SONG GROWING CO.
1225 E. Sunset Dr., #518
Bellingham, WA  98226
(360) 738-0340
fax: (360) 734-0295
www.tomhunter.com
------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C372DB.382A33C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2><STRONG>September =
newsletter=85</STRONG>=20
</FONT></FONT>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2><STRONG>GREETINGS</STRONG> for =
September from=20
a hot and dry corner of Washington state. Hard to imagine but even in =
this part=20
of the world we need rain=85 This is the first of what we hope will be =
many=20
monthly newsletters full of thoughts and announcements and hype. We want =
to make=20
better use of email technology, and if you like it, please pass the word =
so=20
others can sign up too. It won=92t be long and won=92t demand a lot of =
time staring=20
at your screen or downloading something of dubious interest. Short and =
sweet, a=20
thought or two to chew on, something pithy, informational =96 that=92s =
what we=92re=20
after. For longer pieces and more details, we=92ll refer you to our web =
site, so=20
you can ignore those things or look for them at your leisure. Again, =
greetings,=20
and welcome aboard!</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2><STRONG>To chew on=85</STRONG> =
"Machines are=20
turning us into spectators." Pete Seeger said that, and though I=92ve =
been using=20
it for years in workshops, there=92s always another way it=92s true. We =
don=92t sing=20
so much these days; we listen to machines sing for us. We don=92t =
prepare our own=20
food so much; we go fast food or use precooked packaged meals. We get =
farther=20
from where water or power or ideas or clothes come from. Truth is =
participating=20
in our own lives is much more satisfying =96 making our own music and =
food, having=20
our own ideas, creating something of our own. Little kids have to or =
they don=92t=20
learn much. It=92s the same for adults. We all need to play, do it for =
ourselves,=20
explore, muck around, move, fall down, get up. Sitting still is way =
over-rated.=20
It turns us into spectators. Re-inventing the wheel is good. It makes =
you a=20
participant in your own life.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2><STRONG>Recent event=85</STRONG> =
I did an=20
opening day assembly at Irene Reither Primary School Sept. 2. Half an =
hour after=20
the kids arrived that first day they were in the gym singing songs. Not =
a bad=20
way to start the year! Fun to sing "We=92ve Been Waiting for You" in =
that context.=20
"If you=92re kind of tired, we=92ve been waiting for you," "If you=92re =
kind of=20
scared=85" "If you wish summer were longer=85" =96 it always seems right =
to me to have=20
the chance to acknowledge real feelings. And I couldn=92t help but =
wonder, looking=20
at all those faces (and the teachers too), how this year will go for =
them. Will=20
someone welcome them day after day, creating a place where they feel =
they=20
belong? Will they learn numbers and letters and the joy of learning and =
at the=20
same time get other things they need, the stuff of their own humanity, =
things=20
you can=92t measure?</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2><STRONG>Sept. dates=85</STRONG> =
It=92s a pretty=20
open month, on purpose, so I can prepare for a busy Oct. and Nov. (check =
those=20
months at </FONT></FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.tomhunter.com/upcomingevents.htm"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>www.tomhunter.com/upcomingevents.htm</FONT></A><FONT =
face=3DArial size=3D2>)=20
and get some projects done around our place.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2><STRONG>Sept. 11</STRONG> =96 =
curriculum open=20
house at Irene Reither School</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2><STRONG>Sept. 17</STRONG> =96 =
presentation to=20
the staff on Staff Day at Bellingham Technical =
College</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2><STRONG>Sept. 24</STRONG> =96 =
assembly at Wing=20
Luke School, Seattle =96 to kick off my music residency =
there</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2><STRONG>Sept. 24</STRONG> =96 =
evening family=20
back-to-school sing, Emerson Elementary School, Everett, =
WA</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2><STRONG>Sept. 27</STRONG> =96 =
all-morning=20
workshop for the Kitsap AEYC, info at (360) 779-5517</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2><STRONG>New seminar=85</STRONG> =
I=92m excited=20
about a new seminar I=92m doing for the Bureau of Education and Research =
in Nov.=20
(where and when listed at </FONT></FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.tomhunter.com/upcomingevents.htm"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>www.tomhunter.com/upcomingevents.htm</FONT></A><FONT =
face=3DArial size=3D2>)=20
=96 "Enhancing Early Literacy Skills through the Use of Music." It=92s a =
whole day=20
of singing songs and exploring what kids learn when they sing. What =
could be=20
better than that! Even when the topic isn=92t specifically literacy, =
you=92ll likely=20
hear some of those ideas seep into my other presentations this=20
year.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2><STRONG>Hype=85</STRONG> Check =
the web site to=20
order recordings. We think they=92re pretty good, definitely worth the =
pittance we=20
charge. Besides that, <STRONG>for those of you signed up and receiving =
this=20
newsletter, during Sept. if you buy one item at full price, the next two =
are=20
each $5 off =96 CD's, tapes, or</STRONG> <STRONG>books. Just include the =
word=20
"compost" on your order form and we'll take care of the =
rest.</STRONG>&nbsp;And=20
pass the word about signing up for this newsletter.&nbsp;Tell a parent =
or a=20
teacher, a friend or an enemy=85 Remember we can send things as gifts to =
whatever=20
address you give us, autographed if you want=85 By Oct 1 there will be =
an insert=20
done suggesting ways to use some songs on some selected recordings=85 =
Check out=20
the essay entitled "Lullabye" on the web site (</FONT></FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.tomhunter.com/essays.htm"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>www.tomhunter.com/essays.htm</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial><FONT =
size=3D2>)=85=20
<STRONG>Our best to you all, =91til next =
month!</STRONG></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<HR>
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><STRONG>THE SONG GROWING =
CO.</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1225 E. Sunset Dr., #518</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Bellingham, WA&nbsp; 98226</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>(360) 738-0340</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>fax: (360) 734-0295</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><A href=3D"http://www.tomhunter.com"><FONT=20
size=3D2>www.tomhunter.com</FONT></A><FONT size=3D2>=20
</FONT></FONT></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C372DB.382A33C0--