Tom Hunter & The Song Growing Co.Tom Hunter & The Song Growing April Newsletter

Tom Hunter - The Song Growing Co. list@tomhunter.com
Mon Apr 5 19:43:53 EDT 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C41B03.4533EFE0

April Newsletter...

GREETINGS FOR APRIL from where the frogs just started singing again. It =
really is amazing how one night it=92s quiet and the next there=92s this =
whole chorus of frogs. And they=92re loud! I=92d love to meet the =
conductor, and know how they pass the word that tonight=92s the night. =
Come to think of it, there might be a good children=92s story book in =
that=85 Thanks to you who have sent notes about this newsletter. Little =
by little, our numbers grow (like the frogs =96 pass the word=85), and =
it=92s particularly fun to hear how parts of what=92s said here get into =
other newsletters or get put up in teachers=92 rooms or read to friends =
over the phone. Stuff here is to be used, and we=92re grateful when it =
is!

TO CHEW ON... One big satisfaction of presenting at so many conferences =
is being able to hear other presenters. In a recent keynote (about first =
relationships), I heard this quoted from Jeree Pawl (a child =
psychologist, I think): "One of life=92s greatest privileges is the =
experience of being held in someone=92s mind. Possibly though there is =
one exception =96 and that is the privilege of holding another in =
one=92s own." It=92s a little airy, a little esoteric, but it made me =
aware again of the people I think of regularly, maybe even "holding them =
in mind" =96 people from 8 years of NW Teachers Conference, or people =
who have sent me notes after conferences, or a teacher whom I talked =
with in a school library after a workshop recently who said the joy she =
felt when she started teaching is gone. Pretty powerful connections in =
simply thinking about colleagues and friends.=20

RECENT EVENTS... It was fun doing the closing keynote to send the =
National Coalition of Campus Child Care Centers home from their early =
annual conference 3/6 in Seattle. Their theme was "sleep less in =
Seattle," and apparently they did=85 I=92m not sure how many years =
I=92ve been doing concerts for the Parent Child Preschools of Oregon but =
the latest was March 28, and of all the things I do, nothing compares =
with a room full of kids, parents, and grandparents all singing =
together. The laps, kids interacting with a parent, dancing, sitting =
still for a moment, and all those voices (loud, soft, high, low, =
whispered, old, young) making their own music when so often we listen to =
others. I hope you=92re singing, and organizing school sings and family =
sing-alongs. It=92s a very good thing to do!

APRIL DATES... more time at home this month =96 hooray!  (more dates =
available at www.tomhunter.com/upcomingevents.htm)
4/1 =96 UCSB children=92s center (Santa Barbara), CalTech children=92s =
center
4/2 =96 workshop for teachers of all UCLA children=92s centers =96 =
focus: early literacy
4/5 =96 assembly at Fisher School, Lynden, WA (because I forgot to go =
3/29)
4/16 =96 workshops for Nevada AEYC, Reno
4/17 =96 workshops for South Sound AEYC, Olympia
4/23 =96 workshops for Head Start, Sedro Woolley, WA
4/24 =96 keynote for "Childhood Matters Conference," Renton, WA
4/28-4/30 =96 workshops, assemblies, concerts in Rochester, NY
5/1 =96 keynote and workshops, early childhood conference, Palm Springs, =
CA
Next year=92s travel will be focussed on bigger conferences, dates for =
the Bureau of Education and Research (BER), and a few places I go every =
year. I want to cut back travel and concentrate more on things around =
home.

HYPE... We=92re having conversations around here about how to market =
recordings more effectively. Maybe you have ideas. We can=92t help =
thinking there must be ways we haven=92t thought of yet to get more =
recordings off our shelves and into CD players. Help us figure out how =
and you=92ll receive our undying gratitude (expense-paid, for two)=85 =
This month=92s special for you who get this newsletter: any 2 CD=92s for =
$25 and we pay shipping. What a deal! Just write "April showers" on your =
order.  Go to www.tomhunter.com/stufftobuy.htm to see what's =
available=85 Please pass the word so more people will sign up for this =
newsletter =96 wit and wisdom unavailable anywhere else!=85 STILL ROOM =
TO SIGN UP FOR NW TEACHERS CAMP =96 the best damn staff development =
event ever. Check www.tomhunter.com/NWTC.htm for details=85 =91Til next =
month=85

-------

THE SONG GROWING CO.
1225 E. Sunset Dr., #518
Bellingham, WA  98226
(360) 738-0340
fax: (360) 734-0295
songgrow@tomhunter.com=20
www.tomhunter.com
------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C41B03.4533EFE0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff><FONT face=3DArial>
<DIV><STRONG>April Newsletter...</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>GREETINGS FOR APRIL</STRONG> from where the frogs just =
started=20
singing again. It really is amazing how one night it=92s quiet and the =
next=20
there=92s this whole chorus of frogs. And they=92re loud! I=92d love to =
meet the=20
conductor, and know how they pass the word that tonight=92s the night. =
Come to=20
think of it, there might be a good children=92s story book in that=85 =
Thanks to you=20
who have sent notes about this newsletter. Little by little, our numbers =
grow=20
(like the frogs =96 pass the word=85), and it=92s particularly fun to =
hear how parts=20
of what=92s said here get into other newsletters or get put up in =
teachers=92 rooms=20
or read to friends over the phone. Stuff here is to be used, and we=92re =
grateful=20
when it is!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>TO CHEW ON...</STRONG>&nbsp;One big satisfaction of =
presenting at=20
so many conferences is being able to hear other presenters. In a recent =
keynote=20
(about first relationships), I heard this quoted from Jeree Pawl (a =
child=20
psychologist, I think): "One of life=92s greatest privileges is the =
experience of=20
being held in someone=92s mind. Possibly though there is one exception =
=96 and that=20
is the privilege of holding another in one=92s own." It=92s a little =
airy, a little=20
esoteric, but it made me aware again of the people I think of regularly, =
maybe=20
even "holding them in mind" =96 people from 8 years of <A=20
href=3D"www.tomhunter.com/NWTC.htm"><STRONG>NW Teachers =
Conference</STRONG></A>,=20
or people who have sent me notes after conferences, or a teacher whom I =
talked=20
with in a school library after a workshop recently who said the joy she =
felt=20
when she started teaching is gone. Pretty powerful connections in simply =

thinking about colleagues and friends. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>RECENT EVENTS...</STRONG> It was fun doing the closing =
keynote to=20
send the National Coalition of Campus Child Care Centers home from their =
early=20
annual conference 3/6 in Seattle. Their theme was "sleep less in =
Seattle," and=20
apparently they did=85 I=92m not sure how many years I=92ve been doing =
concerts for=20
the Parent Child Preschools of Oregon but the latest was March 28, and =
of all=20
the things I do, nothing compares with a room full of kids, parents, and =

grandparents all singing together. The laps, kids interacting with a =
parent,=20
dancing, sitting still for a moment, and all those voices (loud, soft, =
high,=20
low, whispered, old, young) making their own music when so often we =
listen to=20
others. I hope you=92re singing, and organizing school sings and family=20
sing-alongs. It=92s a very good thing to do!</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>APRIL DATES... </STRONG><EM>more time at home this month =
=96=20
hooray!</EM>&nbsp;<EM> </EM>(more dates available at <A=20
href=3D"http://www.tomhunter.com/upcomingevents.htm"><STRONG>www.tomhunte=
r.com/upcomingevents.htm</STRONG></A>)</DIV>
<DIV><A =
href=3D"http://www.tomhunter.com/upcoming"></A><STRONG>4/1</STRONG> =96 =
UCSB=20
children=92s center (Santa Barbara), CalTech children=92s center</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>4/2</STRONG> =96 workshop for teachers of all UCLA =
children=92s centers=20
=96 focus: early literacy</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>4/5</STRONG> =96 assembly at Fisher School, Lynden, WA =
(because I=20
forgot to go 3/29)</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>4/16</STRONG> =96 workshops for Nevada AEYC, Reno</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>4/17</STRONG> =96 workshops for South Sound AEYC, =
Olympia</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>4/23</STRONG> =96 workshops for Head Start, Sedro Woolley, =
WA</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>4/24</STRONG> =96 keynote for "Childhood Matters =
Conference," Renton,=20
WA</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>4/28-4/30</STRONG> =96 workshops, assemblies, concerts in =
Rochester,=20
NY</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>5/1</STRONG> =96 keynote and workshops, early childhood =
conference,=20
Palm Springs, CA</DIV>
<DIV><EM>Next year=92s travel will be focussed on bigger conferences, =
dates for=20
the Bureau of Education and Research (BER), and a few places I go every =
year. I=20
want to cut back travel and concentrate more on things around =
home.</EM></DIV>
<DIV><EM></EM>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>HYPE...</STRONG> We=92re having conversations around here =
about how=20
to market recordings more effectively. Maybe you have ideas. We can=92t =
help=20
thinking there must be ways we haven=92t thought of yet to get more =
recordings off=20
our shelves and into CD players. Help us figure out how and you=92ll =
receive our=20
undying gratitude (expense-paid, for two)=85 <STRONG>This month=92s =
special for you=20
who get this newsletter:</STRONG> any 2 CD=92s for $25 and we pay =
shipping. What a=20
deal! Just write "April showers" on your order.&nbsp; Go to <A=20
href=3D"http://www.tomhunter.com/stufftobuy.htm"><STRONG>www.tomhunter.co=
m/stufftobuy.htm</STRONG></A>=20
to see what's available=85 <STRONG>Please pass the word so more people =
will sign=20
up for this newsletter</STRONG> =96 wit and wisdom unavailable anywhere =
else!=85=20
<STRONG>STILL ROOM TO SIGN UP FOR NW TEACHERS CAMP</STRONG> =96 the best =
damn=20
staff development event ever. Check&nbsp;<A=20
href=3D"http://www.tomhunter.com/NWTC.htm"><STRONG>www.tomhunter.com/NWTC=
.htm</STRONG></A>=20
for details=85 <STRONG>=91Til next month=85</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<HR>
</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><STRONG></STRONG></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><STRONG>THE SONG GROWING =
CO.</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>1225 E. Sunset Dr., #518</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Bellingham, WA&nbsp; 98226</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>(360) 738-0340</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>fax: (360) 734-0295</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>
<DIV><A =
href=3D"mailto:songgrow@tomhunter.com">songgrow@tomhunter.com</A>=20
</DIV></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><A =
href=3D"http://www.tomhunter.com">www.tomhunter.com</A>=20
</FONT></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C41B03.4533EFE0--