a message from Tom Hunter

Tom Hunter - The Song Growing Co. list at tomhunter.com
Tue May 29 19:42:21 EDT 2007

A mostly monthly and periodically pithy letter with greetings, a story, something recommended, Tom's appearances, and more...

Greetings to you all after some silence to wonder whether this newsletter is worth it, and deciding it is but not as something called a "newsletter" - not much news in this and most newsletters are a dime-a-dozen and boring. Maybe it's "monthly musings" instead. So here's a question for you: what should we call it and why? Best entry (as determined by our father/son office staff with quirky and questionable tastes) gets the prize of a "Many a Mile" CD (our latest). Deadline for entries is June 15, multiple and collective entries welcomed.

A story: I was singing with first graders near Portland, OR and over to one side, two boys were talking to each other, in Spanish, and not paying attention to the singing. Language was clearly the problem, and it went on for probably three songs. Then, in the middle of "Down on Grandpa's Farm," after getting suggestions from the kids (a big brown cow, a big white hen, etc), I said maybe Grandpa had a turtle on the farm, "a tortuga." The boys immediately noticed, stopped talking, looked at each other and laughed. "How big is it?" I asked. "Grande," one said. "What color?" "Verde," the other answered. For the rest of the half hour, they paid attention and sang along. Good reminder how hard it is to participate when no one is "speaking my language." It might be Spanish, but it also might be the "language" of needing to move more when I'm told to sit still for long periods of time, or the "language" of feeling sad (about any number of things) when people want me to be happy.

Your responses to past letters: I love hearing how what I've written reminds you of a quote or a story, or how it sparks your imagination. So in these letters, I want to include (with permission) something one of you has sent to me.. Around new year's time, I sent out an original poem honoring those who work with children. In Coeur d'Alene, ID, Doug Fagerness (a leader among early childhood educators in Idaho, and an expert vegetable gardener) wrote that he had played with some "public domain" art as a background for the poem. I found the results very moving, and you can have your own copy by clicking here. Big thanks, Doug!

June appearances: From now on, we'll include where I'll be and if you're interested you can find more details on the web site -- www.tomhunter.com. June is light, by design. Highlight this spring was a 6-day residency in Hillsboro, OR. Get in touch with us for creative scheduling.

6/1 Spokane. 6/8-6/9 Hood River, OR. 6/16-6/17 Bellingham (retirement celebration and church event). 6/21 San Jose, CA

Northwest Teachers Conference, July 7-12 - There are still some openings available. Past participants say it's simply the best staff development event they've been to. Call them to ask why. Phone numbers and registration information are on the brochure which is available at www.tomhunter.com/nwtc.htm.

To buy: Several of you have emailed us recently looking for CD's to take on family trips this summer, and we have some great ones! Good for singing along, for turning off and singing as you want, for making up your own verses. Much better than DVD's. Through the end of June, we pay shipping on all orders!! Click here to visit our online store. And thank you all for what you've bought from us this school year. Our sales numbers won't show up in trade journals, but it is satisfying to know a lot of our CD's are in homes, classrooms and cars encouraging people to sing.

'Til next time, our best to you all, particularly to you teachers working to get done everything that needs to get done before summertime. Who knows a good way to discourage slugs?

THE SONG GROWING CO.
1225 E. Sunset Dr., #518
Bellingham, WA 98226
(360) 738-0340