Many a Musing from Tom Hunter's Song Growing Co.

Tom Hunter - The Song Growing Co. list at tomhunter.com
Wed Jun 24 18:16:55 EDT 2009

FIRST A PLUG FOR THE NORTHWEST TEACHERS' CONFERENCE! It's coming right up (July 5 through July 10th) and there are still scholarships available. Visit http://www.nwteachersconference.org for information. Tom & Richard Scholtz started this annual event 13 years ago and many teachers & even a few school administrators have found it renewing and energizing. In fact, some teachers have credited this event for keeping them in the field of education.

HERE AT THE SONG GROWING COMPANY, we have several projects underway.

(1) We are working on a CD version of Tom & Gwen's little-known LP for grownups entitled "You Gave Me This Song" that was recorded when nine months pregnant with Irene. Samples have been posted at http://www.tomhunter.com/samples.htm . Please let us know if you might like to order it as this will help us figure out how many to make. Thank you.

(2) We plan to reprint Tom's songbook for children and call it Volume 1, in hopes that there will be a Volume 2 in the relatively near future.

(3) We've been working on a book of Tom's original Christmas songs and still hope to have it out in time for this coming holiday season. Gwen's eye surgeries have caused significant delays, but we're still hoping to get it done this year.

AND LASTLY, we'd like encourage you to take a look at the autobiography written by Tom's father, T. Willard Hunter. It's called "Bus Drivers Never Get Anywhere: A Rendezvous with the Twentieth Century," ISBN 1-930053-15-0 and is available at Regina Books, PO Box 280, Claremont, California 91711, phone (909) 624-8466, or through PayPal at http://www.reginabooks.com .

Tom wrote the forward and Willard's book is filled with funny and poignant stories of a past era, including many that helped to shape not only Tom's adult life, but many of our lives. You'll learn about his family's involvement with the MRA (Moral Re-Armament movement) out of which evolved Up with People, the Oxford Group & Alcoholics Anonymous. You'll also learn about what was then called manic-depression (bi-polar disorder) and how it affected Tom's family. And you will encounter many, many names, some of which might be familiar to you especially if you're from the Midwest. A couple of reviews can be found at http://www.thezephyr.com/offtheshelf/sincere.htm and http://aabibliography.com/williard_hunter_book_oxford_group.htm .

WE HOPE THAT YOU FIND REST & RENEWAL & RE-CREATION THIS SUMMER - hmm, the 3 R's? And we deeply appreciate all who are working hard to see that children are given the best education possible and that educators are valued.

THE SONG GROWING CO.
1225 E. Sunset Dr., #518
Bellingham, WA 98226
(360) 738-0340