[ACT] Treebune News

Jared Liu jared at actrees.org
Mon Jan 12 12:28:12 EST 2009

Trouble viewing this? Go to: http://actrees.org/files/Newsletter/treebune_09jan12.html

January 12, 2009

ABOUT US
Alliance for Community
Trees is dedicated to improving the environment where 80% of Americans
live: our cities, towns, and villages. Together, ACT's national
network of members have planted and cared for 7.8 million trees with
help from 450,000 volunteers.

NATIONAL SPONSOR

SUPPORT ACT

NATIONAL NEWS
Economic stimulus doesn't have to mean ecological disaster
By Andy Lipkis (excerpt from a LA Times)

(Los Angeles, CA)- Jump-starting old construction projects to create
jobs would harm more than help us. We need to focus on 'smart green'
infrastructure. [There are] some good reasons... to support President-
elect Barack Obama's plan to spend hundreds of billions of dollars on
infrastructure projects. We need the employment, and our cities needs
rebuilding. It's true that the "New New Deal" offers a fantastic
opportunity to rebuild for the future, but this opportunity also
contains real dangers. If we don't make careful choices about what
kind of infrastructure we build, we will be hardening in concrete the
ecological mistakes of our past.

Read the full story

LOCAL STORY
Neighborly woods
(Covington, GA)- In the fall of 2008, Keep Covington/Newton
Beautiful's business committee picked the Alliance for Community
Trees' NeighborWoods program as its "passion project" or project they
wanted to see implemented within the year. With financial support from
the Home Depot Foundation, the NeighborWoods program provides grants
and training to organizations and individuals dedicated to restoring
urban canopy.

Read the full story

Please use and share ACT's materials freely with anyone interested in
urban forestry, but with this copyright notice intact. Send a copy of
the cited publication to:
Alliance for Community Trees • 4603 Calvert Road • College Park, MD
20740 • info at actrees.org
Copyright (c) 2009 Alliance for Community Trees

To Subscribe:
friends at actrees.org
an announce-only list for ACT's NeighborWoods Network
http://actrees.org/site/lists/friends

To Unsubscribe: