[ACT] ACT Special Announcement- Newsletter Changes

Jared Liu jared at actrees.org
Tue Jan 6 13:46:58 EST 2009

Trouble viewing this? Go to: http://actrees.org/files/Newsletter/spec_announce_09jan6.html

January 6, 2009

ABOUT US
Alliance for Community
Trees is dedicated to improving the environment where 80% of Americans
live: our cities, towns, and villages. Together, ACT's national
network of members have planted and cared for 7.8 million trees with
help from 450,000 volunteers.

QUICK LINKS
Join ACT
Resources
Newsroom

NeighborWoods Network Communications
ACT is making some changes to its newsletter!

Beginning in the summer of 2006, ACT newsletters took on HTML
formatting and increased in number from 22 (in 2006) to 45 (in 2007)
to 60 (in 2008). ACT also standardized information into six categories
based on what members said was of most value to them.

Through these improvements, the newsletter has become one of the main
channels through which ACT communicates with members. In fact, most
members tell us that the electronic communications they receive from
ACT are the most valuable aspect of membership. In an effort to do
even better, we're making these changes:

1. We're keeping the Network Update, however, text and graphics will
be condensed even further to be a compendium of what's happening in
urban and community forestry. It will be distributed to members and
friends twice a month, and will continue to serve as the basic read.

2. Shorter and more focused by topic. At member requests, we're
formally adding five new newsletters delineated by topic. These
topical newsletters are intended to help individuals and organizations
better stay connected with what's new in urban and community forestry.
The five newsletters are:
* Treebune News (news)
* Tree Talk (trainings/events)
* Root Issue (research)
* Growing Circular (funding/partner opportunities)- members only
* Hill Leaflet (public policy)- members only

3. More communications. This does mean more emails, however most of
you will not notice a substantial difference, as we have already been
sending special newsletters for NeighborWoods Month, Third Thursday
webcasts, the annual meeting, and public policy news. You will never
receive more than one communication per day, except in October because
of NeighborWoods Month, but typically no more than three
communications per week. The breakdown is:
* Mondays and Tuesdays: news
* Wednesdays: funding and partnership opportunities
* Thursdays: trainings and events

All newsletters are read-only, and ACT will continue to host a
discussion listserv where members can post with one another.

Changes will begin on January 12, 2009. You can expect ACT to be
consistent and transparent so that readers know what’s happening. We
look forward to your feedback and serving you even better!

Thanks.
Alliance for Community Trees

Please use and share ACT's materials freely with anyone interested in
urban forestry, but with this copyright notice intact. Send a copy of
the cited publication to:
Alliance for Community Trees • 4603 Calvert Road • College Park, MD
20740 • info at actrees.org
Copyright (c) 2009 Alliance for Community Trees

To Subscribe:
friends at actrees.org
an announce-only list for ACT's NeighborWoods Network
http://actrees.org/site/lists/friends

To Unsubscribe: