[IGDA_indies] more opinions on the value of the IGDA (esp.forindies)

Jason Della Rocca jason at igda.org
Wed Jul 21 22:11:58 EDT 2004

>is all talk, no action.

Who's fault is that? The IGDA provides basic infrastructure for SIGs (and
chapters), but it is up to the developers to actually do the action.

As Brandon noted, it is all about harnessing volunteer energy. If there is
no action, it is because no one here is taking any action.

To be fair, there are a few who are starting to rebuild the web site and
are looking at some new SIG projects, etc.

>Who cares? I mean, really, where has all this organization gotten anyone?

To be clear, the role of a non-profit organization like the IGDA is to
benefit the community as a whole, and not directly any one member of the
community. For example, one role of the IGDA is to help students become
more employable by the industry right out of school by working with
universities on curriculum and degree programs. We do not actually help the
student get the job directly. This also has an effect on the quality of
workers in the industry, and potential quality of games made.

In terms of specifics, here are some other examples:

- the IGDA has participated in several court cases to defend games as an
artistic/expressive medium and save them from being censored/regulated by
the government (ie, the legal defense fund Brandon refers to)
http://www.igda.org/censorship/lobbying.php

- we send 25 university students to GDC each year on scholarships
http://www.igda.org/scholarships/

- we wrote a guide on how to best submit games to publishers
http://www.igda.org/biz/submission_guide.php

- we wrote a curriculum framework that has been used by nearly every
college and university in the world to set up game degrees and courses
http://www.igda.org/academia/curriculum_framework.php

- we present the Game Developers Choice Awards, the most respected and
credible industry awards
http://www.igda.org/awards/

- we released a "quality of life" white paper that has shed much
attention/light on the topic of developer work/life balance issues
http://www.igda.org/qol/whitepaper.php

- every month, dozens of IGDA chapters from around the word host meetings,
allowing developers to connect, share ideas and grow their personal networks
http://www.igda.org/chapters/updates.php

- we hosted a developer members-only party at E3
http://www.igda.org/events/rsvp_e3party.php

Seems like a lot more than just blah blah talk to me ;)

Have these things helped you personally? I don't know. Has this helped
better/grow the industry and community as a whole? I certainly like to
think so.

Can the IGDA do more? Yes! Can we do things better? Yes! We don't have all
the answers...

Sorry for the aggressive tone.

Jason

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jason Della Rocca
Program Director
International Game Developers Association

t: +1-514-426-1162
f: +1-514-426-1201
Montreal, Canada

http://www.igda.org/blogs/realitypanic/