[IGDA_indies] organizational politics

Thomas H. Buscaglia thb at gameattorney.com
Thu Jul 22 17:45:25 EDT 2004

Certainly the GDC is not focused on Indies or start up developers but
rather on the larger well funded shops with lots of employees and lots of
$$ to spend on full conference passes. I have had start up indie targeted
presentations rejected by the GDC because start ups and indies do not buy
conference passes and are not GDC's target audience.  AFter all the GDC is
a business venture...

IMHO the IGDA has sort of been following that model and it was probably a
very good thing in order to establish itself as an institution.  The
question of whether serving the interests of the large corporate publisher
owned and big budget independent studios should be the mission of the IGDA
(or the same focus as the means to self perpetuation) or whether the IGDA
has higher goals is certainly worth discussing.  Here or anywhere else
members meet.

I think the answer to that question was convincingly answered
recently.  The Quality of Life white paper proves that the IGDA is not the
captive of the publicly traded behemoths of the industry...and can
effectively have a higher purpose.

However, more and more consolidation, greater reliance on third party IP
and the other recent high barriers to entry in our industry will, without a
vibrant and healthy "indie" sector, eventually turn the game industry into
a soulless hell.  Innovation and creativity are what indies do best!  And I
think supporting indies is consistent with the IGDA's higher purposes and
mission.  Of course, how that gets done is another discussion
altogether...and that discuss belongs right here!

Tom B

>Tom Spilman
> >
> > No problem.  It probably belongs on a more general IGDA
> > list or on the
> > boards, but this is an issue that needs discussion.
>
>I think the slant implicitly worth taking is "how do Indies feel about
>the IGDA?"  What do they want from it?  How would you actually build
>local Indie communities under IGDA auspices?  or without the IGDA?  Is
>organizing Indies the same as organizing people in the mainstream game
>industry?  (I don't think so, we have rather different needs and
>interests.)
>

>Cheers,                     www.indiegamedesign.com
>Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA
>
>"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
>                           - anonymous entrepreneur

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *
Thomas H. Buscaglia, Esquire
T. H. Buscaglia and Associates
80 Southwest 8th Street
Suite 2100 - Brickell Bayview Center
Miami, FL  33130
Tel (305) 324-6000
Fax (305) 324-1111
Toll Free 888-848-ILAW
http://www.gameattorney.com

Confidential:  This email contains communications protected by the
attorney-client privilege.  If you do not expect such a communication from
Thomas H. Buscaglia, please delete this message without reading it or any
attachment, and then notify Mr. Buscaglia at thb at intelaw.com of this
inadvertent misdelivery.