[IGDA_indies] What should the Indie SIG do?

Brian Hook hook_l at pyrogon.com
Fri Jul 23 15:02:21 EDT 2004

> First, I have a milestone list:

Going back to my original post, the first question is WHAT ARE WE
TRYING TO DO?

Doing "stuff" is laudable, but if there is no clear mission statement
or goal for that "stuff" then it's just busy work.  What is the point
of getting a better Web site that is easy to administer if we're not
sure WHY the Web site should be visited?

Why is the IGDA-Indies SIG any more relevant than just hanging out on
GameDev.net or flipcode or Garagegames?  These are significant
questions.

Are we trying to push IGDA to Indies?  Are we trying to provide value
to indies?  Are we trying to get organized?  If any of these answers
are "yes", then the next question is "why?".

> What does everyone think the SIG can do on a local scale (i.e. what
> should chapters do indie-wise, should we have programs with schools
> and libraries, etc?)

Good lord, first let's figure out our value to ourselves before
bothering schools and libraries.

> We need whitepapers and reports that are relevant to the indie
> scene, and good case studies, interviews, resources, and articles,
> and info on how projects can be started. Please submit any
> resources you have :)

Why should someone write for the IGDA Web site instead of, say,
writing for their own or posting on GG?

> What are things that the Indie SIG can do to help the Indie Game
> Dev Community? Suggestions, comments, etc please :)

THAT is the first thing that needs to be answered.

Brian