[IGDA_indies] What should the Indie SIG do?

C Ratchet zratchet at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 23 14:51:39 EDT 2004

I've been talking with Jason Della Rocca and he's given me a few
questions he thinks everyone on the list should see.

First, I have a milestone list:

1) Website easily admin-able, at least 50 posts on the forums/mailing
list.
2) International Org, Advisory, Chapter Admin Boards, at least 2 people
per continent
3) Local Org, Advisory Boards, at least 5 active people
4) Local Chapter, 25 people
5) International Chapters, at least 100 people internationally (incl.
local chapter)
5) Activities and Subgroups, at least 10 people per subgroup
6) First Local Convention/Conference (get at least 40 people to come)

I'd like suggestions and comments on this list of milestones.

Also, we are looking for org board members, we need membership
coordinators (which do moderation, suggestion taking, contact keeping,
and help new members), chapter contact people (keep in contact with
local chapter people and coordinate indie meetings), online meeting
coordinators (for the IRC channel), and researchers. If you're
interested please say.

What does everyone think the SIG can do on a local scale (i.e. what
should chapters do indie-wise, should we have programs with schools and
libraries, etc?)

Anyone interested in creating SIG projects (on local or international
scale) to create games (probably using open source) or participating in
game projects (such as Happypenguin.com's game of the month) or game
programming competitions? We need a project guide for the IGDA chapters
for Indie SIG activities... I'm asking for help here ;)

We need whitepapers and reports that are relevant to the indie scene,
and good case studies, interviews, resources, and articles, and info on
how projects can be started. Please submit any resources you have :)

Anyone interested in doing programs with youth organizations or
libraries to get kids and teens interested in indie game dev? I'm
working on getting a program started at my local library.

We need people to help with curriculum development. I'm currently
planning to teach about the Stratagus engine ( stratagus.com ), Python,
The Games Factory and level editing in a few other games.

Should we possibly have international (internet-based) LAN parties that
connect to live meetings as well? Of course, using indie-made games
(good opportunity for indie devs to get their multiplayer games tested)

What are things that the Indie SIG can do to help the Indie Game Dev
Community? Suggestions, comments, etc please :)

---
 From Ratchet (Mikey Lubker)
Lead Coordinator of the IGDA Indie SIG: http://igda.org/indie

Check out my projects: http://sf.net/users/ratchet