[IGDA_indies] making money

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Sat Jul 24 15:26:07 EDT 2004

Hoping to succinctly state a strategic focus.

Do we agree that being an Indie is about making money?

If so, we should focus on how Indies can make more money.  That could
take a lot of forms, like developing competetive advantages, business
models, streamlining technology overhead, whatever.  I definitely
approach game development from the standpoint of "I am only one guy
right now.  I cannot afford to think the same way that big studios think
about game production."

I think we agree that Indie != innovative games.  We disagree about how
many Indies are interested in game innovation, as opposed to simply
having control over the production of their own highly derivative games.
I do think Indies have a strong 'game innovation' contingent, however.
I'd call it a secondary focus, as it's not a universal concern.

I think all Indies are interested in *business* innovation.  Being an
Indie is a business decision.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

When no one else sells courage, supply and demand take hold.