[IGDA_indies] World Cyber Games

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Sun Jul 25 14:21:08 EDT 2004

I guess this is what I get for not being a multiplayer gamer.
http://www.worldcybergames.com/overview/ov_wcghistory_wcg2003.asp
Look at the prize money that's been awarded for this dang thing!  That's
about 7 times the amount that gets awarded for the Independent Games
Festival.  I suppose that's the power of mainstream marketing and
mainstream taste.  I'm thinking the prizes reflect the brand recognition
of the games played, i.e. this is an advertizing budget.

I'm wondering if there's any way for Indies to create such advertizing
budgets.  I am doubting it.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur