[IGDA_indies] what Python sucks at

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Sun Jul 25 16:49:03 EDT 2004

Brian wrote:
> Brandon wrote:
> > Nobody disagrees that Python is slow.
>
> Compared to what?

Compared to compiled languages.
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/
Historical benchmarks left as an exercise to the reader.

> My point
> is only that giving "advice" to others based on _your_
> criteria isn't going to be particularly constructive.

It's rather constructive not to pump sunshine up people's skirts.  I've defined my criteria: heavy duty 3D and AI code.  Python sucks for that.  You will be writing in Python + C or C++ if you want performance for that, with all the language dis-integration pitfalls and PITAs that entails.

If you're not doing heavy duty 3D and AI, fine, do what you like.  Some people like Visual Basic .NET.  Most small games like you see on RealOneArcade could be written in anything, there wouldn't be a 'big win' going with better language technology.  .exe packaging technologies and download footprints could matter, though.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

"We live in a world of very bright people building
crappy software with total shit for tools and process."
                                - Ed Mckenzie