[IGDA_indies] Experimental Game Design SIG

Thomas H. Buscaglia thb at gameattorney.com
Sat Feb 12 23:41:17 EST 2005

Actually I'm here too...But I was on vacation so I was lurking....

Just got back and have about 1000 emails to deal with...but I am with you guys!

Tom B

At 03:20 AM 2/11/2005, you wrote:
>Jason Della Rocca wrote:
> > Brandon Van Every wrote:
> > >
> > >"To markedly increase the level of experimentation among
> > > game designers."
> >
> > Ya, that sounds really appealing. But, so far, sounds like
> > we've got a SIG of 3 ;)
>
>3, in my experience, is the viable beginning of all groups.  If you can
>get 3 people to consistently deal with something, you have a chance at
>growing into a larger organization.
>
>Of those 3, 1 person has to be the 'spine' of the group.  The Group
>Leader has to be the 1 person who always shows up, always cajoles people
>into having a meeting, always sets an agenda item when people are
>twiddling their thumbs.  It's an energy drain to be the leader, and it
>takes a certain fortitude.  Not to mention a passion and a purpose.  A
>faith in the goal, and a will to keep trying no matter how hopeless
>things look.
>
>Or at least, until one determines that one is completely, utterly
>outflanked as a matter of Grand Strategy.  For instance, over 1.5 years
>I figured out that it's impossible to get open source developers to do
>anything related to business or marketing.  They're simply not put
>together that way.  Money is the great focuser and without it, people
>simply won't do certain things.
>
> > Is that folks have no interest, or has this list being sent
> > to everyone's spam filter???
>
>People are damn lazy.  It's part of why I didn't take certain earlier
>suggestions seriously.  I've spent a lot of time trying to get people to
>do 'stuff', and I know the vast majority of people can't be arsed to
>alter the basic patterns of their stressed out lives.  Those that do
>believe in a goal, and have the skill, energy, and stamina to pursue it,
>are doing so.
>
>What I'm currently working on, is how to use the Nebula2 3D engine with
>Python.  http://nebuladevice.cubik.org  I want easy-to-understand Python
>"starter code" into the Nebula2 source tree.  So that someone who has an
>interest in Nebula2, sees that it's pretty easy to get started, and
>actually does something with it.  I see this kind of enabling technology
>as a prerequisite for group Experimental Game Design stuff.  There has
>to be some kind of lightweight authoring system.  It doesn't have to be
>Nebula2, but that's the one I'm working on, for various reasons.
>
>I'm not totally enamored with Python either.  Someday I want to replace
>it with a fast compiled High Level Language (possibly Bigloo Scheme).
>That's to support my 3D graphics and AI ambitions.  But Python is a
>fairly simple language to pick up, and it has value as a tools and
>prototyping language.  I can see myself getting lotsa people to use a
>framework written in Python.  With the more obscure HLLs it's more
>difficult, there are more conceptual barriers to overcome.
>

>Cheers,                     www.indiegamedesign.com
>Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

> [...]

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *
Thomas H. Buscaglia, Esquire
T. H. Buscaglia and Associates
80 Southwest 8th Street
Suite 2100 - Brickell Bayview Center
Miami, FL  33130
Tel (305) 324-6000
Fax (305) 324-1111
Toll Free 888-848-GLAW
http://www.gameattorney.com

Confidential:  This email contains communications protected by the
attorney-client privilege.  If you do not expect such a communication from
Thomas H. Buscaglia, please delete this message without reading it or any
attachment, and then notify Mr. Buscaglia at thb at intelaw.com of this
inadvertent misdelivery.