[IGDA_indies] lightweight authoring systems

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Sun Feb 13 17:18:17 EST 2005

C Ratchet wrote:
> I don't know if it exactly qualifies, but my project team has
> been using the Soya game engine for the latest game project
> I'm working on...

http://home.gna.org/oomadness/en/soya/
http://soya.literati.org

I remember crossing paths with Soya, back when I was more of a Python
advocate.  The problem with Soya is it's GPLed.  That's not acceptable
for any Experimental Game Design SIG effort I'd undertake.  I'm simply
not willing to work on anything that I can't make full commercial use
of, in a traditional business model.  LGPL is an acceptable license, and
I'd prefer MIT / BSD licenses.  Part of my reason for supporting
http://nebuladevice.cubik.org is its MIT license.

Aside from the primary problem of commercial viability, GPL projects
have a secondary problem of the developer culture they instill.  I'm a
Windows commercial game developer, and the GPL guys are always a bunch
of Linux freeware hippies.  They just don't deal with problems that
commercial game developers need to deal with.  For instance, shipping on
Windows.  Nor commercial anything, business models, marketing, suits, or
money; are all typically anathema to the GPL crowd.  I can take things
like MySQL seriously, but I can't take GPL game developers seriously.

I'm curious what, if any, aspects of Soya your team has found highly
productive?

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

"We live in a world of very bright people building
crappy software with total shit for tools and process."
                                - Ed McKenzie
--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.