[Yuliya's Performances] Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto # 1 Reviewed

Ted Slusarczyk tedslu at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 19 19:05:19 EST 2005

Dear Friends,

I am sending you the review of my performance of Tchaikovsky's Piano
Concerto # 1.  The review appeard in the Roanoke Times
(http://www.roanoke.com) today, Jan. 19.

________________________________

Wednesday, January 19, 2005
Piano professor's playing delightful
By Seth Williamson
981-3341
The Roanoke Times

The Roanoke Symphony Orchestra has had many fine soloists in the decades
I've been attending concerts. Among the best have been icy technicians who
can play anything set before them, passionate lovers of their instruments,
difficult prima donnas and personable human beings.

But none has played with the joie de vivre displayed Monday night by pianist
Yuliya Gorenman. The young Russian-born American artist, who is professor of
piano at American University in Washington, D.C., played the Piano Concerto
No. 1 of Peter Tchaikovsky with a muscular joy that was a pleasure to hear.
If her appearance with David Wiley and the orchestra at the Roanoke
Performing Arts Theatre is any indication, she loves performing more than
anything else, and it would take a difficult audience indeed not to be swept
away by her happiness in being at the keyboard.

It was probably no coincidence that she ended the concert with more encores
than I can remember hearing from any RSO soloist in over two decades. She
reeled off four (count 'em, four) solo piano treats after the Tchaikovsky
came to a thunderous close, and gave the distinct impression that she could
have kept at it all night if her audience didn't have to get home to bed on
a work night.

Monday night's three-warhorse program began with Bedrich Smetana's reliable
tone poem "The Moldau." This is a musical depiction of the great river that
flows across Bohemia and eventually into Prague, and it is a miracle of
Czech melodiousness from beginning to end. This performance was notable for
beautiful work from the RSO's horn section, which played the horn calls
thrillingly (where the river flows past a hunting party).

The musical heart of the evening was a full-bodied performance of the
"Enigma Variations" by Sir Edward Elgar, a piece that was recognized from
the night of its first hearing as an undoubted masterpiece. As these
variations progressed - all of them depictions of members of Elgar's own
circle of family and friends - a sense of cumulative power and control began
to emerge. The RSO is a fine orchestra for as small a region as Roanoke, but
in this performance I seemed to detect a depth of interpretive insight that
equals readings I have heard from far better known ensembles and conductors.

This was especially obvious in the "Nimrod" variation, which is the heart of
this piece, as the Variations themselves were the heart of this program.
This music shines with a nobility and humanity that rank it among the most
deeply moving pieces ever written by any composer in any era. Though he was
to create many more great works, in a sense Elgar (nor anybody else in the
20th century) never surpassed the sustained nobility of utterance he
achieved here.

I am happy to say that Wiley and the RSO players responded to Elgar's
vision. As they entered this magical section, Wiley barely seemed to move,
communicating with only the smallest gestures and facial expressions. It was
a performance fine enough to summon tears, and I have to rank it among the
best moments I have heard from this orchestra in two decades. It was no
surprise to learn that the RSO musicians dedicated their performance of this
section of the work to the memory of the tsunami victims in the Indian
Ocean.

After moments such as this "Nimrod," the Tchaikovsky that followed in the
second half - as tuneful an audience pleaser as it is - seemed perhaps just
the slightest bit vulgar. Placing it after this Elgar was asking too much of
it. But as Yuliya Gorenman leaned into the crashing opening chords, she made
it easier to get into the sound world of this piece, full of great melodies
and emotionalism.

Gorenman played with athletic power - getting successfully from one end of
this concerto to the other makes huge physical demands on the soloist. But
her strength is probably what enabled her to handle the difficult passage
work as clearly as she did. And she was a master at creating tension with
judicious touches of rubato, slightly retarding the melodic line here,
making up the time a bar or two later.

It was a performance that transcended the usual crashing and banging that
devotees of this piece must accustom themselves to. The audience recognized
this with an immediate standing ovation, recalling Gorenman to the stage
several times. She rewarded them with four encores: Debussy's beloved "Clair
de Lune," the Rachmaninov C-sharp Minor Prelude, the Nocturne for the Left
Hand of Aleksandr Scriabin, and finally a Bach prelude.

Seth Williamson produces feature news stories and Morning Classics at public
radio station WVTF (89.1 FM) in Roanoke.