[IGDA_indies] Self publishing and download.com

Ronald Hobbs ronald.hobbs at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Jul 25 20:29:16 EDT 2004

If no-ones minds a stupid question that has irritate me ever since I saw
dexterity.com

How come there’s a perception that indie games have to be distributed via
the internet? Why can’t I simply print some CD’s and sell them instead? A
professional print for CD’s is only about £300 for 1000 CDs.

Why can I not bribe some store official at Game or PC World or whatever to
stick my boxes right up there next to the latest EA release? Hell why do we
have to publish in a software store why not be as Independent in our
marketing and distribution as we are in our development? Why not get a toy
store to stock you kids games, or a model store to stock your war-game?
Surely people that would buy our games don’t just go to a software store?

I don’t see why we should always think of indie games as the small, simple
ones that you can download off the web. Did games like Savage and Spartan
not prove that you could be an indie and still get it on the shelves?

I wonder just how much of the general public views indie games as the small
puzzle/platform variety that you can download off a thousand sites and not
pay a cent for, and I personally feel that this view is encouraged by indies
themselves. Why are indies consoling themselves to casual gaming markets and
not out there exploring new markets?