[IGDA_indies] Commercializing open source

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Sun Jul 25 21:04:54 EDT 2004

C Ratchet wrote:

> So, basically you're selling gamepacks. This way, anyone can use the
engine to make games, and if
> they want to, benefit from it commercially by creating closed
gamepacks.

Why would I want to enable others to do this, before I've created my own
brand identity and sold my own gamepacks myself?  Seems to me that
restricting the flow of content at the outset is advantageous to the
bottom line.  You can add user content later, after you've firmly
established the 'superiority' of your own content.  I don't think you
want to ghetto your own content to open source efforts.

As for what license, I'm in the MIT license camp.  If I'm going to give
something away, I'll give it away completely.  If I think it is too
valuable to give away, I won't.  I'll charge for it, or keep it as an
unavailable competitive advantage.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

When no one else sells courage, supply and demand take hold.